Negativity Doesn’t Have to Rule Your Life
Why is it so difficult to overcome negative feelings? From the dawn of history—when man hunted mammoth and shelter was made under a rock—the need to escape danger has been ingrained in us.
Though we can thank our ancestors for giving us life, some research shows we can also thank them for passing down their phobias and fears through generations of DNA.
But genes aren’t the only factors influencing our negative bias. A study done at Ohio State University revealed that our brains respond more strongly to negative stimuli.
Here’s a breakdown of the experiment they conducted:
- Researchers showed people a variety of pictures displaying items that generally create feelings within three categories: positive, neutral, or negative.
- As participants viewed the images, researchers measured the electrical activity taking place in the cerebral cortex (which is the part of the brain that’s responsible for thinking, perceiving, and understanding).
So what’s the lesson here? We have to work hard—very hard—to overcome our negative bias.
Science isn’t exactly delivering us good news in this category. In fact, researchers have settled on the idea that you need five positive feelings or interactions to combat just one negative feeling or interaction. Or as we like to call it here at Pearl Insurance, the five to thrive.
Thinking of five positive things at this very moment may prove to be a challenge depending on the day you’ve had. Though a challenge it may be, it isn’t impossible!
Here are some quick tips to make positive thinking a part of your every day:
- Hang around positive people.
- Get involved in the community by volunteering.
- Post enduring sticky notes with positive messages throughout your house.
- At the end of each day, write down five positive things that happened to you or that you’re thankful for.
- Make time to do the things that bring you joy.
- Get enough sleep so your body and mind are ready to take on the day.
- Follow Pause.
Our blog, Pause, was developed to help you lead a happier and more fulfilling life. Here at Pearl Insurance, we’re dedicated to helping people live life without worry. And to replace negative feelings derived from the unknown with assurance.
If you’re determined to overcome your natural negative bias, we can relate. Browse our archive, and together we can lead healthier and happier lives.